If you’re trying to slim down and haven’t had any success with fad diets, perhaps it’s time for a new weight loss tactic. Personal trainer Traci Mitchell says identifying the type of body you have now is vital in order to achieve the one you want.
Mitchell’s method focuses on indentifying your body type from among four options that can be used to describe almost anyone: The Athlete, The Babyface, The Apple and The Pear.
Watch this “Today” clip to figure out your body shape and what foods you should be eating:
The Athlete is shorter in stature with square shoulders. This body type tends to gain weight in the upper body, particularly the back of the arms.
- Avoid: high-fat dairy, red meat and sodium
- Enjoy: low-fat dairy and lean proteins like salmon
The Babyface tends to put weight on a noticeable amount of weight in their face, but may also distribute extra pound evenly throughout the body.
- Avoid: dairy, with the exception of eggs
- Enjoy: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and snacks like hummus
The Pear gains the bulk of their weight in the hip and thigh areas.
- Avoid: creamy foods, decadent desserts and spicy dishes
- Enjoy: mild salsa, fruits, vegetables, oats and lean proteins like chicken breast
The Apple retains weight in the midsection.
- Avoid: sweets and refined carbohydrates
- Enjoy: eat lean meats, nuts, whole grains, vegetables and brown rice
Traci posted more details about this new way of “dieting” on her blog, including which meals each body type should indulge in.
- The Athlete: make dinner the meal of the day
- The Babyface: eat like a reverse pyramid, eating a bigger breakfast, moderate lunch and smaller dinner
- The Pear: eat a small breakfast, moderate lunch and larger dinner
- The Apple: eat three equally sized meals every day
Hungry for more? Meet a 21-year-old woman who weighs nearly 400 pounds took part in the “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” challenge and see what she looks like now: