Report: NYC Man Set on Fire During Tracheotomy

by | May 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM | General

Enrique Ruiz, of New York City, was reportedly badly burned at Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx during tracheotomy surgery, according to CBS New York.

According to hospital sources, the fire occurred when an electric scalpel being used for the tracheotomy procedure gave off tiny sparks, igniting the patient’s oxygen supply.

Lincoln Hospital spokesperson Nydia Negron said Ruiz received a life-saving emergency procedure and is “expected to fully heal,” according to the New York Post.

CBS New York said the City’s Health and Hospitals Corporation and Lincoln Hospital were unable to comment.

The State Health Department told CBS New York that they were currently investigating the incident. “We will look at patient safety and make sure that proper safety procedures were followed,” a spokesperson said.

An estimated 550 to 650 surgical fires occur in the U.S. each year, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.