Robert De Niro’s NYC Home Catches Fire

(Getty Images/Stephen Lovekin)

Robert De Niro’s New York City apartment caught fire this afternoon, thanks to a piece of lint.

The New York Post reports that at around 2 p.m., lint inside the actor’s clothes dryer sparked an intense fire that spread across the fifth floor of the Central Park West residence he shares with his wife and two children. It took firefighters almost an hour to subdue the flames.

“Right above my head these 12-foot tall flames exploded out of the fifth floor window,” said an eyewitness who was moving his car outside De Niro’s building.

“The dryer in 5W caused the fire that spread through the entire fifth floor,” said Battalion Chief Mike Meyers.

Not only did the fifth floor suffer extensive damage from the fire, but the sixth and fourth floors were both damaged from the flames, smoke and water as well, according to fire department officials.

A neighbor on the sixth floor had trouble getting out of the building during the blaze. “The smoke was so dark and heavy, it was hard to breathe,” she said.

According to the New York Times, 95-year-old actress Celeste Holm, who won an Academy Award for “Gentleman’s Agreement,” and her husband, Frank Basile,  also live in the building and were trapped in their apartment while firefighters tried to control the fire.

A spokesman for De Niro said he’s out of the country.

The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.


Comments are closed.