Happy birthday to ‘The Brady Bunch,’ one of television’s most loved and enduring shows. It first aired September 26, 1969.
The show starred Florence Henderson, Robert Reed, Ann B. Davis, Barry Williams, Maureen McCormick, Eve Plumb, Christopher Knight, Mike Lookinland and Susan Olsen.
Interestingly, the show received poor reviews. It was never among the top 10 rated shows either.
Nevertheless, it has aired nearly nonstop since its debut. “I think the secret is that people relate to so much of what happens on it,” Maureen McCormick told Fancast earlier this year.
“Viewers either wanted to be friends with the kids or they wished they were them. To this day, people stop me – grown men and women – and tell me about their favorite episodes.”
How did the series come about?
Below, series creator Sherwood Schwartz explains the series’ origin.
Did you watch? Of course you did.
Now take this brief quiz and see how much about the show you remember.
- What was the name of Alice’s boyfriend? (Sam the butcher)
- Which Brady child got hit in the nose with a football? (Marcia)
- What was Mike Brady’s profession? (Architect)
- What was the name of the high school the Brady kids attended? (Westdale)
- Which Bradys wore braces? (Marcia, Jan, Bobby, Cindy)