‘Law & Order‘ series creator Dick Wolf wants you to know that the mothership is dead. Officially. For real. No secret negotiations. Canceled earlier this year by NBC, the original ‘L&O’ series will not be saved by another network, not even by super show saver DirecTV.
“I can confirm it has moved into the history books,” Wolf announced Friday to TV critics during the NBC presentation at the TCA Press Tour in Los Angeles.
Wolf admitted that he was “extremely disappointed that the show didn’t come back for a 21st season.”
“That’s business. That’s life,” he said. “Everything on television is born under a death sentence. They just don’t tell you the date of execution. We had one of the greatest runs in the history of the business with the mothership.”
And he’s ready to move on. Sort of. Wolf may have let go of the idea of ‘L&O’ making TV history, but he’s not ready to let go of the ‘L&O’ franchise. Some observers might think it’s time to cut ties with the ‘Order’ in his life, but Wolf is moving full steam ahead with the umpteenth spin-off, ‘Law & Order: Los Angeles.’
“We are here today to talk about the future,” Wolf told reporters. “The past is the past. This is a new show.”
Like its original predecessor, the series, which has been nicknamed ‘LOLA,’ will be divided evenly between the scales of justice, with the first part of the hour devoted to the ‘Law’ and the other half focused on ‘Order.’
“It will be basically two acts in two acts: cops and prosecutors,” said Wolf.
With four male actors confirmed for the project, you have to wonder, why are ladies missing from the line-up? Someone get Benson and Stabler on the case.
NBC’s ‘Law & Order: Los Angeles’ will premiere on September 29 at 10/9c, following ‘Law & Order: SVU.’