Charlie Sheen may be out of a job, but a slew of his acting peers are busy filling up their schedules for next season. It’s time for even more casting news!
• Oscar winner Anjelica Huston has signed on for her first TV series regular gig, on the musical drama “Smash” from the mind of Steven Spielberg. She’ll costar with Debra Messing and Broadway star Christian Borle in the series about the cast and crew of a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. Huston will play a theater producer. She recently recurred on the NBC/CBS drama “Medium,” Deadline.com reports.
• Jim Caviezel has been cast in J.J. Abrams’ CBS drama pilot “Person of Interest,” joining “Lost” alum Michael Emerson’s eccentric billionaire. Caviezel has the role of a paramilitary CIA officer who was presumed killed in the line of duty, but who teams with Emerson’s character in New York City to fight bad guys, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
• Hank Azaria – he of a thousand “Simpsons” voices – will star in NBC’s single-camera comedy pilot “Free Agents,” based on the British series about two offbeat PR executives who are both on the rebound. Alex (Azaria) is coming off a divorce and Helen lost her fiancé, Deadline reports.
• “Big Love” actress Ginnifer Goodwin has joined ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” as both Snow White and Sister Mary Margaret Blanchard, in a drama that weaves fairytales and magic into the story of a woman’s past, THR reports.
• Emily VanCamp left ABC’s “Brothers & Sisters” last fall but didn’t go far. She has just won the lead in ABC’s contemporary take on “The Count of Monte Cristo” called “Revenge,” from “Swingtown” creator Mike Kelley. Emily Thorn (VanCamp) is a mysterious woman who comes to the Hamptons to seek revenge on the people who destroyed her family, according to Deadline.
• “Scrubs” alum John C. McGinley will join the ABC multi-camera comedy pilot “Smothered” as the dad of the female half of a couple who gets too much attention from their parents. Julie White has previously been cast as the woman’s mom and Marcia Gay Harden has been cast as the man’s mother. Adam Arkin is in final negotiations to play the man’s dad, according to Deadline.com.
• Bruce Greenwood (“Star Trek”) has joined the cast of ABC’s drama pilot “The River” from “Paranormal Activity” writer-director Oren Peli. The drama centers on a group of friends and family members who set off in search of a famous adventurer and his crew after they go missing in the Amazon, THR reports.