It’s just four days until William and Kate’s wedding. Let’s be honest. Deep down, everyone dreams of being royalty, if only for a day. Fortunately, the exhaustive television coverage of every aspect of the Most. Important. Wedding. Ever. gives you all the information you need to impersonate William and Katherine should the opportunity arise. (Note: other than Halloween parties, the opportunity will never arise. You did not grow up in Buckingham Palace. You did not go to college with William. Your hair is not shiny. You will always be a commoner.)
- If you want to pretend you’re William or Kate, you need to be familiar with every detail of their love story. Fortunately, there are numerous movies and specials that chronicle their relationship. For the melodramatic docudrama treatment, there’s Lifetime’s “William & Kate” which premiered last night. For those who prefer to keep it real, there’s “Royal Wedding of a Lifetime,” a documentary detailing what every moment of their wedding will be like.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Royal-Wedding-of-a-Lifetime/142486/1883268901/Royal-Wedding-of-a-Lifetime%3A-A-Day-to-Remember/embed 580 476]
- Next, you need to master the history of the House of Windsor. Royals know all about their heritage. Did you know that Prince William is 1/16 American? If you need to brush up on your royal family history, this clip from CBS news is a helpful primer.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/CBS-News-Sunday-Morning/9280/1895972969/The-British-royal-family-by-the-numbers/embed 580 476]
- Kate was taught the proper royal etiquette, just like Anne Hathaway’s character in “The Princess Diaries.” In this video from the TV Guide Network, the head of an actual finishing school explains how to walk, sit and wave like a monarch. Watch it again and again until you have mastered the techniques.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/TV-Guide%3A-Specials/141117/1889660572/Kate-Middleton-s-Wedding-Etiquette/embed 580 476]
- Fancy hats are di rigeur at royal weddings. This clip from “Today” explains how to rock millinery like Kate does.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Today/96422/1897006944/Hats-Off-to-Finding-the-Perfect-Royal-Topper/embed 580 476]
- Most of the attention is focused on Kate, since she is the one who is undergoing the transformation from commoner to royal. But William is quite interesting in his own right. He has grown up in the spotlight, keeping a stiff upper lip through his parents divorce and his mother’s tragic death. Here, he speaks about his work as a helicopter pilot in the Royal Air Force and his pre-wedding jitters.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Early-Show/89371/1881201061/Prince-William-talks-wedding-and-work/embed 580 476]
Play close attention to his posh accent. It’s the key to a convincing imitation.