Incoming CBS star Ashton Kutcher made his first public appearance with his new “Two and a Half Men” co-stars Wednesday in New York.
Kutcher took the stage at Carnegie Hall with Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones during the annual CBS Upfront presentation for advertisers.
“I honestly could not be more excited,” he said. “You’d almost think I won the lottery or something – which I kinda did,” he said, referring to the lucrative contract he no doubt signed to replace wayward “Men” star Charlie Sheen.
“I got the best job in show business,” Kutcher said. “I will work my ass off,” he vowed, as the audience applauded enthusiastically. Indeed, when CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler announced that Kutcher was about to come out from backstage, women in the Carnegie Hall audience — ad agency pros who’d been to plenty of these upfronts — could actually be heard murmuring with excitement, otherwise known as swooning.
After Kutcher made his remarks, Cryer then joked that he wished the sitcom’s producers had cast someone shorter than Kutcher, who towered over Cryer. But Cryer was excited too, and called the upcoming season of “Two and a Half Men” — the series’ ninth — “our new beginning.”
Of course, no details were forthcoming about the character Kutcher will play or how he’ll be introduced. But at least we now know that CBS intends to have the retooled “Two and a Half Men” available to make its debut this fall. Previously, there was talk that it wouldn’t be ready by then, and would not return ’til the midseason next winter.
Certainly, the new, revamped sitcom will be one of the most talked-about stories of the fall season come September, if not before.