With the help of Josh Groban, David Letterman presented a pre-taped Top 10 list ribbing his “Late Show” parent network during CBS’s TCA presentation on Wednesday. In “The Top 10 Little-Known Songs Written About Television,” Groban jokingly sang about “CSI,” “Big Brother” (and other non-CBS shows) to the tune of classics like “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “What a Wonderful World.”
Letterman, a perennial TCA no-show, opened the piece saying, “I would have been there in person – but today was the day I eat glass.”
Although the network says video of the bit isn’t available at this point, try to imagine Groban belting out the following:
10. Somewhere over the rainbow…Way up high. There’s a place that has not been…home to a “CSI.”
9. I see Keith Olbermanm…Rant on Current TV…Attacking Glenn Beck…And Sean Hannity. And I think to myself… What an enormous head.
8. What is the deal with my Tivo? It recommends odd programs to see. I only watch “Glee” and “Project Runway.” But my Tivo says “Swamp People’s” right for me.
7. I’ve got nine hundred channels comin’ into my TV… And I’d estimate two thirds of them are selling costume jewel-ry.
6. Check out “Big Brother.” Stay for the hour and if you’re lucky you might see someone shower.
5. Whenever I watch “Two and a Half Men,” I ask myself just what they mean. How’s the kid still a half man? He’s 19.
4. “N.C.I.S.” – who the hell knows what that stands for?
3. Why do the terrorists hate us so? The answer’s plain to see. Try to watch 30 seconds of “Real Housewives of NYC.”
2. Before you critics craft your reviews and dole out your 1-5 stars, we here at the CBS Network invite you to our open bars.
[Right before Groban finished, Letterman interrupted with a sidebar. “If you’re planning a vacation and you haven’t yet selected a book to take with you, let me recommend ‘Late Night Wars, Volume 18’ by Bill Carter from the New York Times,” he said procuring a phony copy and turning to the end. “I think this last chapter is where Leno tries to get George Lopez to return the kidney.”]
1. Those Cialis and Viagra and Levitra ads you see – pay for your favorite shows. All hail E.D.!
See Julie Chen Present Letterman’s “Top 10 List” On Tuesday Night:
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Late-Show-With-David-Letterman/90389/2079980256/David-Letterman—Julie-Chen-s-%22Big-Brother%22-Top-Ten/embed 580 476]