The top o’ the Top Five this week has to belong to Regis Philbin, the undisputed Energizer bunny of TV, at least for this week. What — or who — else made the Top Five? Read on . . .
1) The unsinkable Regis Philbin: Where does this 80-year-old guy get his energy? Well, from years of observing his work, we’ve concluded that he gets it from the attention he receives from soaking up applause and adulation everyday on a high-profile TV show. And that makes us wonder how he’s going to deal with being out of the spotlight now that he’s left “Live with Regis and Kelly.” Whatever he ends up doing, we doubt he’ll ever be as ubiquitous on the tube as he was this week, logging one TV appearance after another.
2) Regis’ replacement: Jerry Seinfeld’s not really the new Reege, but he is stepping in to guest-host Monday when Kelly Ripa returns to “Live” without Regis. But this entry on the Top Five has nothing really to do with Regis — it’s Jerry Seinfeld doing what he does best, stand-up comedy. Our observation? No one makes observations quite like Seinfeld.
3) Working for Peanuts: We admit to being such huge life-long fans of Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang that we can’t resist including the Peanuts/Facebook parody “Jimmy Kimmel Live” had this week in honor of the show’s “National Unfriend Day.” Guess who got unfriended in this Peanuts bit? Charlie Brown, of course!
4) Hasselbeck wages war on Bill Maher: Speaking of “The View,” we’re always entertained when Elisabeth Hasselbeck gets her knickers in a twist over some hot-button political issue. This week, she went at it with guest Bill Maher. Our view: Bill deserves to be attacked verbally once in a while.
5) Get some “Revenge”: After a slow start in the ratings, ABC’s “Revenge” is fast becoming the most talked-about new drama of the fall season (though it doesn’t rate as high as some others, such as “Unforgettable” on CBS). This week’s episode, titled “Treachery,” was particularly eye-catching.