It’s an alternate universe tonight on “NCIS,” when Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) finds himself starring down the barrel of a gun. He has a split second to make a decision — to shoot or possibly to be shot — and it spins off an episode that shows what might have been if different choices had been made in the past.
So what happens after a gunshot rings out and Gibbs is forced to look back on his life? Who would still be on the team and who wouldn’t — and would their lives be polar opposites from how we know them?
“There are key moments in the folklore of ‘NCIS’ where major events happen and those major events drove our characters in certain directions, but what if those events unfolded differently?” asks Executive Producer Gary Glasberg. And that is the episode he wrote.
Several people from Gibbs’ past will be returning and not just those that are living. There are several characters who are dead in the current storyline that will revisit their roles and Harmon’s real-life son Sean will play him in newly created what-if scenes from his younger days.
• Returning from the dead are Gibbs’s wife Shannon (Darby Stanchfield) and daughter, Muse Watson as Mike Franks and Rudolf Martin, as Ari Haswari — the man who killed Kate (Sasha Alexander) and who is Ziva’s half-brother.
• Since Glasberg has compared the “Life Before His Eyes” 200th episode to “It’s a Wonderful Life,” it appears that Mike Franks will be the one escorting Gibbs through the sliding doors that could have been his life.
• Ziva (Cote de Pablo) is not an NCIS agent — In an earlier interview, she told us, “The best part of it for me is the possibility that Ziva wasn’t there all these years, so I come back and meet Tony DiNozzo [Michael Weatherly] for the first time in an interrogation scene.”
• And Tony could be a father! There is a scene in a hospital nursery with Tony and a baby. Tune in to find out if perhaps Tony married Dr. Jeanne Benoit, who was his one true love, but also the daughter of La Grenouille, a French arms dealer that NCIS Director Jenny Shepard (Lauren Holly) had her sights on.
• Lauren Holly will not be returning.
• It is reported that in the 200th episode, we could finally meet Gibbs’ mother. His dad (Ralph Waite) is definitely back.
• Abby (Pauley Perrette) and McGee (Sean Murray) could be a couple!
The “Life Before His Eyes” episode of “NCIS” airs tonight at 8 p.m. on CBS.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/NCIS/11915/2193522418/NCIS—Preview%3A-Life-Before-His-Eyes/embed 580 476]