“Modern Family” said goodbye to Season 4 with a funeral. Could they say hello to Season 5 with a wedding?
[xfinity-record-button id=”6158438733133910112″ program_type=”series”]
Last May, Phil (Ty Burrell) and his entire family flew to Florida for his mom’s funeral. While there, Mitch (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) realized he wanted to go back into litigation while Alex (Ariel Winter) received a special message from her late grandmother.
There will surely be more laughs and tears as “Modern Family” heads into its fifth season with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 9/8c on ABC. Here’s what you need to know about the upcoming season of the hit ABC comedy.
1. Will Cam (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitch get married? In real life, Ferguson married his longtime partner Justin Mikita in July. Could Ferguson’s fictional alter-ego be far behind? Ever since the Supreme Court ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional, fans have been wondering whether Cam and Mitch would get married. But the cast has been tight-lipped about any impending nuptials. “We deal with gay marriage. And that’s all I can say. I’m not allowed to say anything too crazy… We deal with it hopefully in a funny and original way,” Julie Bowen recently told the Huffington Post. The current promos for the show intone “‘Modern Family’ will change with just one word” as various characters say the word “yes.” Then the promos ask, “But what’s the question?” We’re hoping the question is, “Will you marry me?”
2. A new manny moves in. Don’t worry Rico Rodriguez, who plays Gloria’s (Sofia Vergara) son Manny, is still on the show. But Gloria is getting a male nanny (Adam Devine of “Workaholics” and “Pitch Perfect”) to care for baby Joe. Apparently this “manny” wants to insert himself into all aspects of Pritchetts’s lives. “He doesn’t want to just take care of the baby. He wants to sort of revive the entire household, which leads to some territorial clashes with Jay (Ed O’Neill) and Manny,” executive producer Christopher Lloyd recently told TV Guide. But, can we all take a moment to reflect on the fact that Gloria does not work. So what exactly does she need a manny for? Let’s hope Claire (Julie Bowen) has something to say about this.
3. Luke (Nolan Gould) and Manny are heading to high school. Cam will be their new substitute teacher and football coach as the two boys navigate the high school landscape. Look for Phil to struggle with the fact that the baby of his family is now a high school freshman. And the boys aren’t the only ones hitting academic milestones. Little Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) is starting first grade. The kids are growing up and the cast shot new opening credits to reflect that.
4. It’s a big year for the show. The season premiere is also the show’s 100th episode and on September 24, the comedy begins airing in syndication on USA. So if you’ve never hung out with the Pritchetts or the Dunphys or the Tuckers, now is your chance.
5. There will be a new boyfriend for Hayley (Sarah Hyland) and new job for Claire. In a continuation of a story line that started last season, Claire will go to work for Jay and his closet business leaving Phil to do more things around the house. Also Hayley will start to date someone new. But Hayley’s dim but sweet boyfriend Dylan (Reid Ewing) will be back in the October 2 episode.
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Modern-Family/6158438733133910112/47762499839/Flip-Flop/embed 580 476]