“Grey’s Anatomy” returns on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c on ABC. When we last saw the gang at the newly christened Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital, Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) had just given birth, Callie (Sara Ramirez) had just caught Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) cheating on her, April (Sarah Drew) was questioning her engagement to Matthew (Justin Bruening) after watching Jackson (Jesse Williams) save a child’s life in the manliest way possible, Cristina (Sandra Oh) and Owen (Kevin McKidd) broke up, and Richard (James Pickens Jr.) was lying on the floor, seemingly dead by electrocution. With all of those cliffhangers, it’s a safe bet that every single “Grey’s” fan will tune in to the premiere.
[xfinity-record-button id=”5191720111929016112″ program_type=”series”]
But what new angst, romance and disasters await? Here’s what you can expect from the upcoming tenth season of “Grey’s Anatomy.”
1. Richard’s Fate Revealed. Unlike last season, which began with a huge, frustrating time jump, Season 10 will pick up right where the finale ended. “I can tell you that we start up right when we finished at the end of the finale, in the same moment,” co-star Sarah Drew, who plays Dr. April Kepner, shared with xfinityTV. “The Chief was on the ground, I’m in the room with Jackson.” So fans will learn Richard’s fate right away. But showrunner Shonda Rhimes is playing coy about whether or not he sacrificed his life to restore electrical power to the hospital, telling us only, “We will see him again. And I will say again that we will see him again.”
2. Cristina’s Swan Song. Sandra Oh recently announced that she is leaving the show. That means that Season 10 will feature Cristina’s exit storyline. Cristina already gave up her dream job at the Mayo Clinic because she missed her best friend Meredith and her true love, Owen. So it’s difficult to imagine what would inspire her to leave Seattle. While “Grey’s” has never been shy about killing off series regulars, Oh told The Hollywood Reporter, “I want this to be a celebration. I want us to get to that point where we see this character ride off into the sunset… Playing Cristina and growing her and growing myself in her, I want to usher her into the next section of her life in the best way possible. It’s got to be Cristina Yang’s happily ever after.” Said Rhimes, “This year is going to be bittersweet for us — we’re both going to savor every moment of Cristina Yang, and then we’re going to give her the exit she deserves. And when Sandra walks out of my door, ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ will once again be forever changed.”
3. Meredith & Derek Raise a Newborn. After years of torture, Meredith and Derek finally seem to have found their happily ever after. They’re happily married. They now parent two kids, after Meredith managed to carry a high-risk pregnancy to term, delivering a healthy baby she named Bailey. But nothing’s ever simple or easy for Meredith, who will struggle with balancing motherhood and her professional ambitions. “Newborns don’t sleep more than two hours at a time and there’s breastfeeding involved and there’s a lot of things that are going to happen,” Rhimes told xfinityTV. “Having one child and having two children is a very different thing as I discovered a while ago. So I feel like, for Meredith especially, it’s going to be the lean in of it all. Is she going to step back? Is her career going to go farther?”
4. Can Callie and Arizona’s Relationship Survive? Last season, Callie and Arizona’s relationship was put to the test when Arizona’s leg was amputated and she blamed Callie for authorizing the lifesaving surgery. Arizona’s resentments and insecurities led her to have a fling with Lauren (Hilarie Burton). Now it’s Callie who will have difficulty forgiving her wife. “This is the second time she’s been cheated on by a spouse,” said Drew. “She’s going to have some pretty intense stuff to work through. Both of them are because the person who cheats, they’re just as devastated. So I think it’s just this messy, I don’t know what to do, we have a child, what are we supposed to do in this situation?”
5. April’s Love Triangle Heats Up. April has a much happier dilemma. She has feelings for two handsome, seemingly perfect guys. So how will she choose between the paramedic who shares her traditional values and the surgeon who makes her forget all about them? Drew reveals, “She needs to figure out what she wants. That’s going to happen this season. And I think it’s not going to be an immediate thing for her… And she’s going to hope that the person she chooses still wants her after she sat there trying to figure it out. Flip flopping is not awesome. She’s a person who has a heart big enough for two people. So she’s going to really struggle through it.” But, Drew points out, “I don’t think that she can make a wrong choice in this scenario.”
The 10th season of “Grey’s Anatomy” premieres Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c on ABC.
Catch-up on the Season 9 Finale of “Grey’s Anatomy” Before the New Season Begins!