We’re now less than one week away from the season premiere of “Scandal” and we can’t wait until the Pope and Associates “gladiators in suits” return for season 3. Though the show has gained tremendous buzz with its suspense-filled plots and cliff hanging episodes, main character Olivia Pope’s wardrobe is getting a lot of attention as well. With power suits with a twinge of femininity, structured coats that fit just right, and a closet full of Prada bags, it’s no wonder that women all over have been swooning over this character’s style. Interested in creating an Olivia Pope wardrobe of your own? Here are a few tips that will help you achieve her look:
1) Don’t neglect your outerwear or handbag. Every woman should own a good trench, wool coat and versatile “it” bag – and no one wears this combination better than Olivia Pope. This Salvatore Ferragamo Cream Pearl Cashmere and Wool Blend Coat has been spotted more than once during the season including in this clip where she is also sporting a Prada Saffiano Cuir Open Promenade tote bag.2) Pair a long necklace with a button down blouse. Long necklaces that have delicate accents like this Long Bezel Station Necklace from Nordstrom are Olivia’s go-to accessory. She wears this well in the “Snake in the Garden” episode in season 2.
3) Wear the right colors at the right time. Olivia Pope wears a lot of light muted colors including white, cream, gray, beige and pastels. No bright colors for Liv! But there is a method to her madness. In September 2013, “Scandal” Costume Designer, Lyn Paolo, told Cosmopolitan, “…she can only wear white when she’s wearing the white hat. When she doesn’t know what she’s doing, she wears grey. If she’s in a lot of trouble…she’s in black and white.” Speaking of black and white, do you remember the beautiful full length Escada white gown with black accents she wore in the “Boom Goes the Dynamite” episode?
4) Make sure business attire includes power pantsuits and subtle, yet stylish separates. Though Olivia meets with high powered and prominent government “big wigs” who often wear the uniform black or navy suit, Olivia takes a different approach. Instead, she may wear a conservative suit in a muted color or her signature white suit similar to this Albert Nipon Pant Suit. Or she’ll pair some straight or wide-legged pants with a blazer with some visual interest. But even though she has some great and unique pieces, they never include over-the-top embellishments. Look for blazers with some subtle visual interest whether a belt, peplum, unexpected angles or textured fabric. This Armani Collezioni structured jacket seen in season 2, episode 16 is a great example. Check out some of her signature business attire in this “Scandal 101” video:
5) Add some long gloves to your wardrobe. Elbow-length gloves can’t help but be classy and elegant. Watch how Olivia wore them especially well with this peplum tweed jacket while out with Jake:
6) Silky blouses are your friends. Worn as a button down shirt or a shell, a silk blouse gives just enough shine to add some femininity to a suit or contrast under a sweater. Olivia wears a cowl neck silk blouse under a long cocoon sweater in this scene with Jake in season 2: