You know I love to laugh so to help you get through the rest of this workweek, I’ve compiled a list of some of the funniest ladies to have graced the small screen. These sistas are hilarious! I tell ya, they don’t make ’em like this anymore. Enjoy!
1. Wanda Sykes is awesome! I first fell in love with her, like most people, when she starred on “The Chris Rock Show.” Her 2000 Presidential Election coverage skit is classic. It had me cracking up (and seriously wondering who the next commander-in-chief would be). She went on to star in her own Fox sitcom “Wanda At Large,” (that show was hilarious!), CBS’s “The New Adventures of Old Christine,” and on her own late-night TV show, Fox’s “The Wanda Sykes Show.” She guest stars on “The Real Husbands of Hollywood,” hosts OWN’s “Wanda Sykes Presents Herlarious” and currently stars in the Amazon Studios comedy, “Alpha House.” Watch her on “The Chris Rock Show” below.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/WuA1KkFsrkQ 580 476]
2. Jenifer Lewis had us cracking up as Will Smith’s witty Aunt Helen on NBC’s “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” She’s a TV veteran, having also appeared on the CW’s “Girlfriends” and TBS’s “Meet the Browns.” We can see her reprise her role as the overprotective mother, Loretta, in “Think Like a Man Too,” which hits theaters in June. Take a look at this clip of her in “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” below.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/5_nu1EaVK_s 580 476]
3. Tisha Campbell is a great comedic actress who I believe is terribly underused (read my ode to her here). She has great timing, which we quickly noticed when she starred as Gina Waters-Payne on Fox’s ’90s sitcom “Martin.” She continued elicit laughter on ABC’s “My Wife and Kids” and her guest-starring role on Fox’s “Everybody Hates Chris.” She still keeps us in stitches, often playing the dozens with Kevin Hart on BET’s popular hit “The Real Husbands of Hollywood.” Watch this clip of her in “Martin” below.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/fOqRCU_d78s 580 476]
4. Tichina Arnold, like her long-time BFF, we first discovered she was funny on “Martin,” where her character Pamela James stayed into it with her bestie’s (Tisha Campbell) boyfriend, Martin Payne. She delivered more funny moments as the matriarch Rochelle on “Everybody Hates Chris” and as Judi Mann on TV Land’s “Happily Divorced.” We can see her in the upcoming Lifetime drama “A Day Late and a Dollar Short” opposite Whoopi Goldberg and Ving Rhames. Check out this clip of her on “Martin” below.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/8F30cK0qcM4 580 476]
5. Jackee Harry will forever be known as Sandra Clark from NBC’s ’80s series, “227.” She was good. So much so, that her take as the sexy neighbor won her an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, becoming the first black American to do so. We saw her as Lisa Landry Sims on ABC’s “Sister, Sister” and guest starring on “Everybody Hates Chris” and “Let’s Stay Together.” We can see her on the forthcoming Disney Channel show, “Girl Meets World.” Watch this clip of Jackee in the “227” pilot.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/RA4kqV0QNS4 580 476]
6. Danielle Spencer may have left Hollywood to become a veterinarian but this former child star will forever be known as bratty little sister Dee Thomas on ABC’s ’70s sitcom, “What’s Happening!!” Her deadpan humor was spot on, often annoying everyone (yes, viewers, too), with her famous catchphrase, “I’m telling Momma!” Hey, it worked for Danielle, earning her the distinction as TV’s funniest child star ever. She’d later reprise her role in the series sequel, Fox’s “What’s Happening Now!” ultimately leaving Hollywood. Check out Danielle in “What’s Happening!!”
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/What-s-Happening%21%21/7575125794625372112/61832259626/What-s-Happening%3A-Clip-2/embed 580 476]
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.